I grew up as a Pastor’s kid and accepted Christ at a very young age. As I grew up in that environment I learned that I had many interests and that all of them related in some way to God’s Redemptive work. I figured if that was true then I had to at least give Christian education a try.
Like most of you reading this, I attended Redeemer University College. My 1-year plan quickly turned into a 4-year degree. My area of study went from Kinesiology with a minor in Biology to Kinesiology with a minor in Business, to Kinesiology with a double minor in Business and Religion.
I was involved mainly with the Varsity Basketball team. But I didn’t stop there. I also enjoyed participating in the different activities offered – the most memorable being Games Night, playing guitar at Hot Spot, Ski Snowboard trip, and Battle of the Bands. The most rewarding experience I had was the opportunity to be an RA and to pass on my experiences onto new students coming into the Redeemer community for the first time.
So there you have it. I had a bunch of great experiences and a degree that everyone was confused about, including me. The world outside was waiting for me.
Post-Redeemer. You might be wondering what does someone who has a BA in Kinesiology with minors in Business and Religion do in the real world. It’s a long story so here is a short list of different jobs I have held since then (feel free to stop by and ask if you want more detail about any of these):
1. Supply teacher at a Presbyterian high school in Belize, Central America
2. Labour - Landscape Construction
3. Canoe trip leader – Newport Adventure Camp (Salvation Army)
4. High School Basketball Coach – Laurier Secondary School, London ON
5. Inventory and Security – BEST BUY
6. Machine-cleaner and ice cream-eater - Nestle Ice cream factory
7. World Cup 2010 spectator/South Africa explorer – (an unpaid position)
8. OUTTATOWN Site Leader (2 years) in Guatemala – Canadian Mennonite University
9. Activities Advisor and Basketball Coach – Columbia International College, Hamilton ON
10. Activities and Orientation Coordinator – HERE!
So with all that being said if you couldn’t guess it from the list above, I love a lot about the world that God created for us. Highlights for me are exploring the outdoors, being active, creating/enjoying music, competing in sports, thinking through board games, using electronics and everything in between. I am hoping that I am able to take all my interests and previous job experiences to serve Redeemer’s community by offering you fun and rewarding experiences while you are here.